Originally Posted by JoeBob
I hesitate to post this because of the usual suspects will blow a gasket but there is a book coming out that will allege Lincoln owned and sold slaves. It seems that he inherited them through his wife. And instead of setting them free, he eventually sold them.

It’s been hinted at because as someone mentioned n this thread, his wife’s family were the largest slave holders in Kentucky. But there were no records. Literally, no records. Like where there should be records of probate or there might have been records of slave sales, there were pages ripped out of registers or files just missing. So the author of the new book finally figured out (I think by figuring out when the records had been transcribed into the new books) that the records had to have been taken sometime in the 1920s. And from that he deduced that the culprit was one of Lincoln’s foremost biographers. And knowing that, he went to the library where the guy’s papers were donated after his death and in a dusty box in the attic found a bunch of records pilfered from various courthouses showing that he owned and sold slaves.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...n-owned--and-sold--slaves-301475375.html

That’s really interesting, thanks. I don’t know that I’d heard that before.

MAGA