Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Muffin
And don't forget HE said that 'all these things would happen' to/in the generation that HE was speaking to!! 'THIS generation' HIS generation!
Different people have different views regarding whether Jesus’ description and prophecy is describing Jerusalem’s pending destruction, or the end times for us all.

God’s Old Covenant was specifically with the nation of Israel, and Jesus said He came to fulfill it, and that it would begin to disappear when everything in it (the Mosaic Law) was “accomplished.” And He accomplished what the Old Covenant required. And then on August 6, 70 A.D. it did, in fact, disappear when the Romans destroyed the Jewish Temple. The Mosaic Covenant was never officially practiced again. It became impossible to do so.

Jesus’s description of the destruction of the Jewish Temple is pretty incredible and often overlooked. The detail He gave is remarkable; it’s exactly as it happened some 40 years later. But many evangelicals interpret Jesus’ description and prophecy as relating to the end of time. The historian Josephus’ description of what happened coincides with what Jesus predicted. Makes sense that Jesus was describing what would take place decades after His prediction. That one passage alone should get people’s attention, especially when anybody who visits Jerusalem nowadays can see the Temple Mount for themselves…bare of the Hebrew Temple…and realize that Jesus predicted that.

Does the Bible ever say that TIME will END????

No, it does not!

It speaks of the end of the age (the Jews spoke of two ages, the age that then was, and the age to come...also referred to as the age of Messiah).

So the "end" that so many infer is the "end of the world" is really just the end of the OT age, and final ushering in of the everlasting age of Messiah.

What God's plans are for this rock, I am not certain. But there is nothing in the bible, properly interpreted within context, that says the earth will end.

The "elements melting with fervent heat" and "heaven and earth passing away" are all easily understood in historical context as the dissolution of the Mosaic economy and Law, via the fulfillment of the law by Christ.

My $0.02. And I understand that most will disagree. That's ok! smile

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.