Matthew 24

Another view…..To start ….. Note that the temple is about 3000 feet from the Mount of Olives.

In Matthew 24:1-2, Jesus and the disciples were either at the temple or some short distance away… Close enough that the disciples “call his attention” to the buildings. Jesus responds with the “… not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.” OK, there is little disagreement that this indeed did happen about 70AD.

Now, as we go on…. Note that in Matthew 24:3 ….. Jesus and the disciples are now at the Mount of Olives…. Approx 3000 feet away from the temple. What happens next is a ….. different conversation …at a different time and …… at a different location.

Jesus is asked about when will “this” happen? One might assume that this is simply a continuation of the “temple conversation.” It may be but it may not. Jesus and his disciples have walked 3000 feet, probably continued to have further Q&A….. I don’t know what was discussed but I am pretty sure they did not walk the 3000 feet in silence with no further conversation since the “temple conversation.”

So, here they are at the Mount of Olives having another conversation. May have been an hour… maybe more…. after the “temple conversation.”

The disciples ask Jesus for info regarding 3 issues. First, they ask “….when will this happen?” So, most of us assume this is a simple continuation of the “temple conversation.” But, it may not be…. Considering that an hour or so and likely other conversation has taken place….. it … may not… be simple continuation. I don’t know…. But, for now, let’s move on to the next two issues….”when will ‘this’ happen and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age.”

Note that in Matthew 23: 4-14, Jesus describes a series of unfortunate events and refers to them as “…the beginning of birth pains.” We all know that the birthing process can take some time before the big event occurs.

The verses in Matthew 24:15-28 build a “crescendo” of events that lead to some very specific instruction in verses 29 – 35 where Jesus says that the generation that has witnessed all the “birth pains” “will not pass away before all these things have happened.

Matthew goes on to relate warnings on preparedness and judgment related to the day of the Lord’s return. Also note that in Matthew 26, Jesus tells of the impending crucifixion.

In my own view, the issue of what verse 3 “this” refers to is key to understanding what and when the “birth pains” occur and so...... concluding that the “generation” that sees the birth pains will indeed be the generation that sees the “lightning” return of the Son of Man.

Edit to add: there may be an issue with the NIV translation of the word “this.” The ESV translates it at as “these things.” The Mount of Olives conversation leading up to the discourse may have been wide ranging …. The implication …. Is that the word “this” may not at all be a lead in to or ”connected” to the temple destruction or the “this generation” reference.

Last edited by TF49; 03/01/22.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”