!966, I was stationed in Taiwan and had access to an unlimited supply of 5.56 55gr Ball ammo and told the cleck at the Ebassy gunshop I'd take the first 223 they could get their hands on. Low and behold it was the ugliest rifle I'd ever seen but it was a 223, I added a 4x Weaver, rings, scope and walked out the door either $69 or $89 lighter. I cant remember if the rifle was $69 and the scope was $20 more or if the whole package was $69. I was buying Rem 870 Wingmasters for $49 and Win 101's for $150.

Well before I ever fired the thing it went to the USAF armorer and he removed the rib, milled the studs off and rounded the forend to a nice shape. 55 years later the rifle has done yeoman work, on traplines, ADC work, calling predators and even won a club BR match, it doted on Herters primers, powder and bullets. Around 1995 the barrel had seen too many bullets down it and I rebarreled it to 6x45mm and it kept right on winning Egg Shoots and killing predators across the west. Mow it wears a synthetic stock aluminum trigger guard and PacNor SS barrel. It is one gun that will stay with me for a long time. I do have a Criterion 20P Remage barrel that could go on it in a pinch if I have to pare down the rifle numbers.

Pics if I get around to getting it out of the safe soon.

1967 was long before the internet and access to the information we have today. If I would have known How rare it was I might not have made it into a working rifle. Surprisingly they had gotten two into the shop and as far as I know today those were the only two that were sold to the public.

Last edited by erich; 03/18/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders