I have one of the new 686+ seven shot models. It has the lock hole, although the lock parts are removed. Before it's purchase I had a Customs Service model 686.. I also have a very old, very worn and used GP100.. The older CS model had the best trigger of the three. The new lock model is smoothing up nicely with dry fire practice. Because of age and use, the Ruger has a very good trigger.

The S&W L Frame is slightly more svelte in the hand, for lack of a better word. The old Ruger has never been disassembled by me. Bought used decades ago, it's earned my trust, and respect, and seems impervious to time and use. I have other S&W revolvers. They always smooth up and get better with age. More so, I think than Ruger. Both can be home gunsmithed into better tune without much effort. Especially with YouTube assistance.

I think either one would give great service. I would not shy away from the lock model Smith's or worry a solitary millisecond about MIM parts or Ruger's reputation for heavy triggers.