When asked for "clips" when I worked in sporting goods I always referred them to the hair care aisle in the health and beauty aid section. That usually got a blank, slack jawed look.

Did much the same when asked if we had "9mm bullets" or something similar. I always asked if they were looking for loaded ammunition or reloading components as we sold both though not so much the ammunition during the first year plus of the Wuhan Flu.

An in person request could be sorted out quickly but a phone call was a real treat. When asked which one, ammunition or component, the caller would repeat their question slower and louder as if I didn't understand them. I would ask back if he wanted ammunition or components along with an explanation of what each was and if we had the one or the other I would tell the caller which we had. I would then get an exasperated sound followed by the same question in an angry manner. I would then tell them we had either the stuff that one shot in their gun or that we had the stuff that one placed in an empty case in order to fire in their gun. I ended up going to these lengths as there were just enough reloaders who called looking for bullets but did not know these are components. That was one reason I quit.