Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
John,

Another little detail about Miss America: Somebody from the military contacted Melvin, saying they'd be interested in him making some other rifles along that line. Mel thanked them for asking, but said he was too busy building hunting rifles.....

Now that’s funny too.

Another said it, but little short stories about that sorta thing is looney news.

Miss America does look like a horse of a rifle though. Neat rifle.

Miss A was built on a real deal ULA long action and I think it has a smaller diameter than a Rem 700. JB would know better.

The Cartridge was an improved 416 Rigby case necked down to .308 and was sort of a test to demonstrate the action was still very strong.

At first it wanted to string vertically when bedded with the barrel free floated. Hanging 32 inches of heavy barrel off the small action was making it flex although I am not sure a Rem 700 would not of also had problems.

Ross bedded a short bit of barrel in the fore end and the vertical went away but it was a bit sensitve to shooter technique and how the bags were setup.

Hence the shag carpet on the front rest. It wasn't pretty but it sure did slide nice on the carpet. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.