Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by beretzs
I believe the Ross had a Champlin made in .340 Wby in which he wrote an article in the September 1989 Guns & Ammo issue. He also had a Weatherby Mark V Fibermark in the .340 Wby.

He did have a favorite .340 Wby and you are probably right as I seem to remember he managed to convince Champlin to build him a rifle after he bought that .243 Win second hand.

I bought a Ruger in .338 Win and worked up loads using 225 gr Xs and Hor SPs and RL22 that clocked a bit over 3000fps.

We were talking about the loads one day and asked me to bring it out next time.

Now Ross was never a fan of the .338 Win because there were .340 Wbys so why settle for less bullet speed. I was on a bit different budget and the Ruger fit that budget.

So next time out as his ranch he set up a chrono and asked me to shoot my loads. 3010fps. Easy bolt opening and cases lasted at least 3 times.

He shakes his head and laughs and said his 225gr .340 Wby loads were running 2950fps.

He might have used that .340 Wby to kill his big Brown Bear. I remember him taking a Rigby in .416 on maybe 2 unsuccessful Kodiak trips.

Long time ago but a fun trip down memory lane.

Thanks guys.

I remember reading his successful brown bear story. I can’t totally remember but I’d thought it was a 340 her used but I do remember it being a damn well written story.

Semper Fi