Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Umm... not quite OGB. wink

Here is Elmer Keith's .338/378 K/T.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...h-grade-338-378-k-t.cfm?gun_id=101531559

Ross Seyfried Mauser "Oulde Yellow" was chambered in the .338/378 K/T. Ross hunted elk with Elmer one fall and got to watch Elmer kill a spike bull with the Champlin .338/378 K/T. After that Ross wanted one for himself and had it built on a Mauser action. IIRC Ross used a .375 H&H on that hunt and killed a 6 point (I think) bull elk with it.

I heard that story in Ross's kitchen. Funny how all of us have those we look up to and Ross really did have a lot of respect for Ol Elmer.

The herd of elk were at 500yds and Ol Elmer wanted a spike for eating. I have held the case as he gave it to Ross and the 275gr Speer bullet fragments that came apart in the bull.

Ross always wanted a Champlin rifle and as they were not really interested in building any more he had to settle for a second hand one in of all things a .243 win.

It had the octagon barrel with the full vent rib and all the bells and whistles but, at the time, the .243 Win chamber was not really what he wanted.

The very expensive barrel went off to Cliff LaBounty for a rebore to .308 and chambered in .300 H&H Mag.

The rifle didn't shoot great so Ross milled a dove tail in the barrel and threaded a mating piece that allowed a screw through the fore end to lock barrel and fore end together. Pretty much the exact opposite of free float.

Rifle went to a solid 1 MOA shooter.

The above is my recollection for 30 years ago so keep that in mind. grin

John;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and you're not in any flood zones where you're at.

Thanks for the Ross Seyfried stories, I appreciate getting the perspective on them.

If it means anything, the above story is exactly how I recall it as well and if I searched long enough I might still have it stashed away somewhere. I want to say it was in a Guns & Ammo back then.

While it's not exactly a "personal" connection with the story, it did help the "light go on" so to speak when I could not for the life of me get a .308 Norma I'd built to settle down and shoot.

Money was tight 30 years ago and sticking on a different barrel wasn't an option, so I read Ross' article a couple times, then decided I didn't have enough meat to cut a dovetail like he did, so I built a barrel band and pillar bedded it into the stock. That's what the lump that didn't rust blue quite the same as the barrel is.

[Linked Image]

It worked much, much better after that. I want to say last season was the 14th in a row that I didn't adjust a thing on it.

Thanks again for the stories and all the best.

Dwayne

Love that 308 Norma Dwayne... as you know I have a soft spot for the old Norma Mag

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.