Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Youse guys are comparing apples to oranges. Elmer came from an era of lead cores with light jackets, a proven performance disaster at higher velocities...what worked?.... big heavy wide diameter bullets. Ross in a much later era had the benefit of smaller lighter bullets driven fast and still holding together with good success. In other words, they were both correct...using the products of their time. BTW...they were friends. Seyfried was more than a pimple too, he put Linebaugh on the map when he used a .45 Colt Linebaugh to dump a cape buffalo without drama. As far as the Hornet goes, Ross' recipe just works in a variety of rifles...if you don't like it...don't use it, you need not trash talk the man.
I always enjoyed Seyfried's articles. He was a good story teller and wrote based on experience. He also had lots of neat rifles.

I lusted after "olde yella". As I remember, it was a Mauser in a ridiculous (and sexy) maple stock, chambered for 338-378KT (I think) and believe it's prior owner was Keith.

Someone (MuleDeer ah-hem) should do an article on Seyfried's rifles.

Umm... not quite OGB. wink

Here is Elmer Keith's .338/378 K/T.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...h-grade-338-378-k-t.cfm?gun_id=101531559

Ross Seyfried Mauser "Oulde Yellow" was chambered in the .338/378 K/T. Ross hunted elk with Elmer one fall and got to watch Elmer kill a spike bull with the Champlin .338/378 K/T. After that Ross wanted one for himself and had it built on a Mauser action. IIRC Ross used a .375 H&H on that hunt and killed a 6 point (I think) bull elk with it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken