I'll usually rub a ribeye with kosher salt, black pepper and granulated garlic, wrap it in plastic wrap and leave it in the refrigerator overnight. Get it out a couple of hours before cooking to sit at room temp. I used to buy into that "only flip it once" business, but no more. I'll turn it a few times. I keep my instant read thermometer handy and when it hits 120 to 125 internal take it off and let it sit covered while I'm fixing other stuff.

A steak needs something with it. At our house it's usually caramelized onions and/or portobello mushrooms sliced thick and cooked in a pan with a quarter pound of butter, black pepper and a quarter cup of sweet vermouth, simmered down to a nice reduction....some fresh asparagus or green beans lightly saute'ed and brightened up with a dusting of dill...little red potatoes, boiled, drained, back to the pot over heat to dry then swirled around in the pot with good shot of butter, salt and pepper.... at one time I'd have said wash it down with a full-bodied cab, but these days I'd lean more toward a nice pinot noir or tempranillo, but that's just me.

Mathew 22: 37-39