Originally Posted by SKane
When someone is offended about how others go about business, it's generally a given their personal album of field/trophy photos to be wafer-thin.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Excellent post!

I'll take every legal aid I can get to insure a clean kill. Powder burns on the hide are good, and I'll use a rest or braced position then too if I can get it.

I am likely not a good shot, but I try to be a careful one.

Showing off when killing just because you can is foolish and childish. So is un-necessarily pushing your equipment and skills to the limit. I'm all grown up now..... Well, sometimes.

A good stalk or game plan is far more satisfying to me than a whiz-bang shot.

That said, I've killed just one of my 20 something moose off a rest. And he was running at about 150 yards. The rest were all off-hand, within 100 yards or so, some running. Several were with sling-wraps. Caribou? I can think of only 3 of over 75 killed - pushing 100 I think. I kinda lost count lately. Those 3 were running at about 80 yards. Took all 5 rounds in the gun tho.... smile.

Posted elsewhere recently, I used this fanny pack on rock on rock last fall with success.

My wife took her caribou using the box on the back of an ATV at 200, at this "blind". [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My son took his from a running herd at about the same range at a momentarily stopped animal on the ridge above my kill, several days later , using the frame of his ATV for a rest. No time to range. Perhaps to the OP, these too were somehow shameful.

I've used rocks, trees, walking sticks, snow machine handle bars, seats, and windscreens, and ATV seat or framework for rest. Once, from an uncomfortable prone position, I stacked 3 small flat rocks up to make it more comfortable, put my cap on top for padding , and killed a nice bull caribou at nearly 400 paced (pre-rangefinder days) yards with a 17 inch barreled 30-06.

Hell, once I even used a 3-legged Bog-pod at exactly 200 ranged yards with a rifle that puts 3 into an inch at 300 yards. smile

Killing is serious work.

Sue me...

Last edited by las; 07/19/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.