Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Garand, given your purist views on marksmanship, how do you feel about the specialized artificial support accoutrements seen here, especially the heavy strapped shooting coat, glove, eye patches, and so on?

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Don't get me started...

Table 1/KD Course of Fire has been gutted, and the pursuit of ever-smaller groups is a mental disorder, like Firearms Collecting v. Acquisition.

Good Field marksmanship is ~ 2.5-3 MOA, if you can hit from field positions quickly.

Shoot how you run in the field.

Me? That's BDU's/Boots, Rifle w/ a 1-1/4" web sling, and a lightly loaded assault pack.

While not outstanding, this is at least honest marksmanship.

GR

Honest marksmanship..

In other words,

Its only real shooting if it is done your way. The way you like it. The way you have fantasized shooting enemy combatants in your role playing, with your BDUs, web sling and lightly loaded assault pack.

It did not go unnoticed that you intentionally did not respond to the questions about how you know "sniping begins at 600 yards" and ignore being schooled on information to the contrary.

The term is LARPing. Running around playing dress up and pretending you are Colonel Cooper. Pretending it's 1935 and you are only going to ever be engaged in a phenomenally narrowly pre-determined set of activities such as scouting enemy soldiers and taking notes, which is pure fantasy BS, as compared to what actually happens in the real world.

Carry on crazy

Actually, prefer cotton ripstop BDU's because I hunt and shoot mainly in the South-East or South-West, and a lot of that is in swamps, piney woods, or desert.

BDU's - are not only inexpensive, durable, roomy, light weight, and fast drying, they are also mosquito-proof.

Assault Packs - make excellent hunting packs as well. They are milSpec quality nylon and $35.

Web Slings - fit the M1 rifle. And, w/ detachable swivels, are just as useful on every other rifle to a marksman.

So don't bother writing me into YOUR fantasies, as they are yours and yours lone, to make you feel better.

Marksmanship is a skill.

Most shooters have none.

Watch how they shoot away from the bench and without crutches.

GR