Interesting thread. I suspect unrealistic ideas of marksmanship, a lack of spot-and-stalk experience and little or no experience shooting off of sticks contributed to the original posting.

The first time I went to Africa, I didn't bother practicing off of sticks in that I thought all the offhand shooting I had done would transfer. It didn't. Shooting off sticks is a skill in itself and takes practice to do well. After learning how, I rarely go afield without them. Sticks can get you above the brush, which is important when stalking. I've never measured it, but I suspect it sticks take my shooting ability to 3 MOA or so consistently and under realistic conditions.

Regarding offhand shooting skills, the targets used for silhouette matches are in the 4-5 MOA range in height and I suspect average bigger than that overall. A REALLY good shooter in the hunting rifle class will shoot about 75% offhand in a match. Shooting around 80% will probably put you in the upper few and might win a national championship. Rimfire shooters shoot 1/5 the distance at 1/5 scale targets and shoot a few targets better than that. The lack of recoil of a rimfire really helps.

Based on my experience with silhouettes and dabbling in High Power, I would say it takes a good shooter to consistently shoot 6 MOA offhand.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 08/27/22.