I got the barrel channel opened way up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yesterday I shot it and 4 3-shot groups averaged 1.1 MOA with individual groups from .55 to 1.7. Good…but not great. The good news is the wild third shots went away and overall dispersion was pretty even. If I transposed all 12 shots onto one target the vast majority of the hits were clustered in about 1.25-1.5 MOA with a few hits opening things up to just over 2 MOA.

I am far from a great shooter so I acknowledge I may be the weak link here.

I took a hair more material off early this morning and re-shot.

Only had time for one group before I had to get on the road for work.

This is 4 shots. I am very happy with the dispersion.

I appreciate all the input on this thread and for the encouragement to REALLY open up the barrel channel. Seems to be the right path. Accuracy was actually better with the pressure but not having to worry about POI shifts will be the better route long term.

I think the functional problem with the stock has been resolved enough that I can work on a bullet powder combo to try to get down closer to a repeatable 1-1.5 MOA with a consistent POI which is all I would ever need/want this rifle to do.

I have partitions, Accubonds, Hornadys, Sierras and TSX on hand in addition to the Speer 250s I have been shooting. In its past life this barrel shot the 225 TSX very well. I shot a few 225s before messing with the stock at all and they followed the same patterns as the 250 Speer (vertical stringing) but groups were noticeable smaller.

Will see.