Cash;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking good thus far for you out on the east coast and all who matter to you are well.

If anyone has mentioned this already I apologize as I've missed it, but for my personal comfort level, if that 850K dropped in the lap of someone who was currently in debt, I'd suggest that they look at eliminating said debt. That sort of ties into the John Goodman scene I suppose?

Being a lifetime "numbers guy" and being married to an accountant/CFO for 40 years, I'd suggest that any potential investments that aren't expected to stay ahead of the current inflation rate should be avoided. Granted in the past year it's been a rough ride on the markets, but up until the beer flu mess it wasn't a huge issue to invest with a financial advisor and meet that goal.

Regarding the different opinions on precious metals, specifically gold, silver and lead, it's seemed to me that gold is the toughest to actually use in a post apocalyptic situation as one would need a way to break it up or partition the individual pieces, no? Historically that was done with a scale, but both parties involved would need to know that they were dealing with 100% pure metal in that instance. Frankly I don't have that ability and other than fairly serious miner/gold bug buddies, few that I've met do.

Silver and lead require much less education if one is considering a EOTWAWKI sort of situation.

The former - in my view - is best obtained from a reputable dealer who doesn't feel the need to involve the federal government about said transactions - so private dealers up here can sell under $10K without such attachments or at least were doing so up to a few years back. Since I'm a Canuck I like 1oz Maple Leafs, but there's choices out there.

The latter is good too, it's best to have a mix of pure and either wheel weight and/or linotype if possible... wink

Not that I know anything about any of that, but I've heard of it Cash.

[Linked Image]

Overall though up here land and housing is where the crazy inflation prices have been taking place. For instance a quarter of decent farm land in Saskatchewan that was $40K not all that many years ago is now $400K.

Regarding rental properties, we know a bunch of folks who do that and all the successful ones are VERY personally involved.

Hopefully that was useful for someone out there.

All the best to you all today Cash, I hope it's a good one for you.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/11/22.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"