Cash;
Thanks so much once more for the very kind reply.

I fear you give me far too much credit, but am appreciative of that oversight on your part.

As a bit of a further tangent, if one cracks a few history books as I know you have done, one would see a trend that in tougher and more trying times, it's the groups and neighborhoods who are able to co-exist or band together that tend to have better outcomes than individuals. That makes sense mathematically too really, though the greater the group size the more various logistics need to be addressed.

That said, we've had a fairly big changeover in ownership in my rural neighborhood in the past 2 years Cash and I've made it a point to get to know the new folks as much as possible.

We had a recurring problem with a young male black bear so I set up a texting chain to let them know where the last sightings were, etc. They in turn would let me know if it was on their deck, etc and then after the Conservation Officer service had been called usually me and another young neighbor I'm getting set up for handloading would wander over and shoo the recalcitrant bruin away from the deck, pool or pet poodle of the new folks.

Edit to add - the CO's are stretched so thin here that if they can show up that day to a problem bear or cougar, it's a good day. Not their fault whatsoever, just how it is.

This accomplished a few things Cash among them being, I now know who is armed, who wants to be, who hunts, which of the neighbors like to cooperate, etc.

As an added bonus I also know who can weld, who are very competent backyard mechanics, who likes to garden, who has medical training... you know, stuff that one hopes and prays to never need to know, but if one does then there's no time like the present to find out, correct?

Oh, the bear...

Another neighbor calls me mid morning and asks if "I'd mind giving him a hand with an issue". Please note that we have liberal black bear seasons in BC and where we live discharge of firearms is legal within some guidelines.

Of course I dropped everything, grabbed what I needed and went over.

My buddy started laughing when I showed up because as I bailed out I had a bag of Nitrile 8mil mechanics gloves and a fresh box of contractor garbage bags in my hands.... grin

Says he to me, "I'll bet you've got a pocket full of knives too don't you?", to which I replied, "Only 4 sir, why do you ask?"

Anyways Cash, I suppose all that's to say that if I didn't live in a spot where that was my circumstance, I'd give some consideration to spending the $850K towards achieving that goal.

It's worked for us and truly what else can we suggest than something that has, you know?

All the best and thanks so much once more for the kindness you've shown me.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/11/22. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"