Fast versus slow?

My answer is "whatever." And I'd be wondering if the next topic was going to be about knock-down power. tired

The old .30-40 Krag was the first [so-called] smokeless round adopted by the U.S. Army. Propelled a 220gr solid-lead bullet at @2200 fps, and could easily shoot through a deer and even some larger animals. Was quite the game killer in its day.

I should also point out I don't care about bang-flop killing my big game. If I can put my bullet through the 'ole boiler room' (aka the lungs), whatever I'm hunting is going to die, and I can follow its trail to where I'll find it. This has worked for me more than 30yrs.

My point - I care more about shooting a cartridge that has ample power/performance to propel a bullet through the lungs/heart of my game animal - more than anything else. I don't need nor care about which cartridges travel at mach-4 or 4500fps.

I won't use them!

I'm not tryingto be argumentative - EITHER.

Through my own experience 2400-2700 feet-per-second is plenty I've discovered - to propel any copper-jacketed lead bullet that will kill any beast I hunt. And I can eat almost up to the hole - if I don't hit a major bone and cause lots of secondary damage.

A .30/06 180grn bullet travels at 2700fps at the muzzle.

Hydrostatic shock caused lots of unnecessary damage (IMO) in many of the animules I killed with rounds that had a muzzle velocity greater than 2800-3000fps. I threw away lots of what should have been edible meat.

But to each his own. Whatever blows up a guy's kelt. wink

Anyway, flame away!