Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by jwp475
The 338 Federal with 210 grain TSX is not what I would call a fast round, yet check out the damage it did to this Zebra's heart

Shot was about 100 plus or minus yards....

That is quite impressive. I agree!

Just to be clear, it's not my opinion that hyper velocity is a requirement. Only that it would be ridiculous to believe that your load would somehow be even more destructive had it been going 500 fps slower, due to longer "time on target".

I agree the pics from the zebra kill are impressive, but we'll have to agree to disagree, MontanaM, about the hydrostatic shock theories. Some things we'll never know because A) We weren't there, and B) Could we even agree on the method of "measuring" what we were trying to prove?

I've not been too thrilled about hearing about the new .338 Federal (because I'm aware of what a great round the .358Winnie is - and never it caught on big) .....

..... But I would be very interested in studying more kills (autopsies) made by both of those rounds. I won't argue about the ability of the .338Fed, nor the ability of the 210grain bullet in Nosler Partition configuration. The 210 Partition has long been a favorite of many .338WM shooters, and I can attest that it kills elk very well.

What impresses me most about the zebra kill is the huge size of the heart! I don't know what a zebra weighs on the hoof, but that heart looks huge! The bullet, cartridge, rifle, hunter - et all, all worked well in dispatching that gaminal.

Plus I appreciate the reference to the engineering book. I'm not an engineer, but my father was. I've studied college physics, chemistry and dynamics. That text sounds like it would be a great primer (and probably much more) on Penguin's point.

.338Fed vs .358Win;
Ken Waters who used to write 'Pet Loads' for Wolfe Publishing, called the .338-08 (essentially the same as the Federal round) a "cartridge of merit" when comparing it to the .358 Winchester. The two are very similar and should give similar performances.

But if it was me, I'd still choose the .35iver, first! The .358 is VERY EFFICIENT, can use many pistol bullets and is great when shooting cast-bullets. However I'd definitely still use the 210 Partition in a .338/06 or .338WM. wink