Good friend of mine has neuropathy, an issue with the nerve ends. He has some trouble getting around and is always cold! I got him up in an area of another buddy's property that historically, I've had pretty good success in. I let out some calls and was rewarded with a gobble not very far away, so we "set up". The tom came around a rock point and was literally only a couple feet away from us, right in front of my friend's gun. The tom just stood there looking around for the hen and I waited for the boom. My buddy was in position, gun shouldered, finger on the trigger, but was just "frozen" in place! I whispered "shoot!", still no boom. The tom is just standing there not 5 feet from us! I say louder, "shoot!", still nothing! Lol! Finally I ask, in a normal voice, if he was going to pull the trigger or not. Finally the tom had enough, kinda walked around and finally walked away, didn't run or fly. My buddy looked at me like WOW! I started laughing! He said he tried to shoot, but nothing happened! Turns out his 870 wasn't in battery. I said we just had all the fun/excitement of turkey hunting and we still have our tags, we can continue to hunt. Later in the day, I could get that tom to reply and come part way in, but not like it did that morning. Not sure how to put into words the look on my buddy's face when he looked at me when the tom finally walked away, it was a Kodak moment for sure! One of many stories that I can bore you with, we have a very good time turkey hunting!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member