I guess this can be funny... in a way...

My buddy that owns the property up by Mauston brought a neighbor with one time. My buddy asked me to go with him as he was a new turkey hunter. I knew him, decent enough guy and at the time was a LEO in the town next to where I grew up. Went over a few things with him, demonstrated some different calls for him to familiarize himself with and off we went. First couple set-ups we had responses to calling, but nothing to show for it. Later in the day, we ended up on a field edge in a great strutting area. Did some calling... nothing. In a bit, did some more calling... nothing again. We sat there softly talking and enjoying a beautiful day. I then noticed hens starting to come out into the field on the very far edge from us, there was a bunch of them. And they were being followed by a group of toms. I told him that I was going to start some very aggressive calling and that if any of the toms broke off and headed our way, what I was going to do and what I hoped he'd do. Well, a couple toms did break off and headed our way. Strutting, and gobbling, as they worked their way ever closer. When the birds were still about 60 yards away, all of the sudden this guy starts shooting at them! You could tell the birds were getting hit by the way they acted and the feathers coming off, but nothing fatal. They quickly turned and started getting away from there, as did the others. Then the guy jumps up, both arms over his head holding the shotgun and starts running across the field after the birds! Lol! Very quickly he was all alone standing out in the middle of the field. He turned and started walking back towards me with his head hung low. When he got closer he asked me, too far? I laughed and said yes, too far. I asked him did you hear me putt? See the birds stick their heads up? He said I guess I blew it! I told him no problem, plenty of places to still hunt at and that we just had all the fun and excitement of turkey hunting and can still hunt. He said no, I'm done! With that he literally walked back to the cabin, packed up and left. I shrugged my shoulders, went to a different area and killed a bird!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member