I was set up, in a dead fall, on the very edge of a very steep, deep, cut looking out at a field that always has good turkey activity. Call, listen, watch, repeat.... more than a few times. Sun started hitting on me, warmed me up nice and started checking my eyelids for pinholes! Lol! Thought I heard something and sat up for a look around... nothing. Suddenly, a tom let's out a gobble right behind me, literally only a couple feet away! It came up the steep bank. I jumped up like I'd been stung by a bee and almost swallowed my call! Haha!

Another time, a buddy and I were walking along a creek bottom headed to a known strutting area. Maybe we sounded like turkeys walking along as a tom lit up on a flat above the creek bottom. We quickly set up and I started scratching and making some soft calls. The tom thundered away but came no closer, staying up on the flat. After a bit, I told my buddy I was going to cross the creek and go up the hill to a dead fall that was close to where the tom was gobbling. When I got to the dead fall, the tom was still going at it and I let out a couple short yelps. I could hear the tom walking around right on the other side of the dead fall. I shouldered my shotgun, as I stood up, ready if needed. As I stood up, the tom started gobbling again. When the tom saw me, still gobbling, it actually made him stutter and he made the funniest, weirdest, sound. I started laughing and could hear my buddy laughing from the creek bottom. Didn't get that tom either, but that's okay too.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member