Another time, different buddy, same area, new turkey hunter. I went over with him certain scenarios and what I would do depending on what the turkey did and what I hoped my buddy would then do. Went over how I would putt if a tom was in, in the hope of him sticking his head up to see what the putt was about. And that that was the time to pull the trigger.

Called a tom up out of the creek bottom that came on the run! My buddy was maybe 10 to 15 yards in front of me and was using my SP-10. We both heard, and saw, the tom and my buddy was ready. When I putted, the tom stuck his head up as we hoped and my buddy pulled the trigger. A branch right next to the turkey's head dissapeared and the turkey ducked down. I putted again, turkey stuck his head up again, my buddy fired again, another branch dissapeared! Lol! With that, the turkey flew off and my buddy shot a third time and missed again. I started laughing when my buddy turned around to look at me with a huge WTF expression on his face! I'm laughing again now as I'm writing this! I told him, as with my other buddy, that we just had all the fun of turkey hunting and we can continue hunting. His reply was "oh, leave me alone with my misery!" To which I replied "okay, but that was one of the biggest tom's I've ever seen up here!" Haha! I won't repeat what he said back to me! Turns out, a piece of cloth between the eye holes on his mask was blocking his vision. We cut that out and later in the day, he killed a nice tom.

Then there was the time I missed 3 different toms on 3 separate setups! I hit everything but the toms! My buddy's couldn't believe what was going on. Went back to the cabin, set up a target and saw that I was hitting about 3 feet high! Turns out that my new bifocals were the culprit and haven't hunted wearing bifocals since then.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member