In a pinch, and if you have them, Fritos Corn Chips work well too. The oil and the corn burn pretty good. Plus you can eat them! Way back when I started all things hunting, I decided to learn how to start an emergency fire before I needed one. Can only imagine what my parent's neighbors thought about me out in my parent's yard, in my underwear, in the cold, rain and snow trying to start a fire! Lol! In my travels, I've used all kinds of Zippo lighters, dryer lint, cotton balls with vaseline, magnesium bars, road flairs, fritos... all kinds of stuff. My favorite lighter is a Zippo style, but one of the high pressure ones for lighting cigars. Of course, if I'm flying to a hunt, that'll determine what I can bring or I'll find a place to get something once I arrive to my destination.

I did just find a new and unused, but older, sitting in the back of a cabinet, magnesium stick. If anyone can use it, please PM me and it's yours.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member