Get a good 1/2" quality ferrorod or that expensive ferro barrel unit from Holland gunsmithing. Either work.

Get a Bic or two. If you need a refillable lighter forger the Zippo and go with the Exotac lighter. It holds fluid longer and is o-ring sealed. Exotac makes an good Bic cover that is quaint and excellent match cases. I have everything Exotac and it's spendy but top notch.

For not f***in around invest in those small Orion mini flares. They work.

Now for fire starters Get an old cookie sheet. Get heavy duty paper towels. Now get some parrifin block of canning wax at grocery store, you can use part of an toilet ring maybe and then a little boiled linseed oil. You can add small bit of vasline, but just a little if you feel you want. Put these in cookie sheet and melt outside maybe in an gas grill grate low heat. Lower piece of paper towel for a few seconds with some tongs and lift out after saturated.

What you get is an nice waxy material that can be folded into small squares size of a thick business card. They remind me of the child chunky books. Anyway you can carry them much easier than the messy Vaseline cotton ball bus8ness. These are solid and you open the material up fluff and scratch it a bit with a blade and it 3xposes fibers. Hit that with a Bic or ferro rod and it will burn in any weather even on a snowbank. Done it many times. I carry these in my filson tin jacket.