Good stuff all. A few more tidbits.

1. I tested dryer lint against pure cotton balls, and the cotton balls were better. Both had equal amounts of Vaseline kneaded into them inside a ziploc bag. Cotton balls ignite easier and burn better than the dryer lint I tried. I think the reason is that lint has a mix of fibers, some of which burn better than others, while the pure cotton balls ignite consistently.

2. Bic lighters and their clones have come apart into tiny pieces in my pack and pockets at times. Also, as said, they can be hard to light with cold fingers/thumb, virtually impossible if wet. I carry lighters but trust my ferro rods more, and I can use larger hand muscles which work better in severe cold.

3. Angled head piezo lighters, sometimes called cigar lighters, are shaped WAY better to start campfires. I have the REI Stormproof lighter and the cap on it is majorly in the way of igniting tinder, and often pushes it out of the way. Great ignition, dumb design.

4. Learn to pull the ferro rod rather than push the striker down toward the tinder. Puts the sparks closer to the tinder and does not scatter it.