Originally Posted by Teal
What do you guys like?

I usually have a lighter on me but I've also started carrying a ferro rod in the car and pack etc. Looking to see what you like for fire starting plugs. I've heard that cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly stored in old film canisters was a staple but the wonders of modern chemistry has me wondering if there's a better alternative. Something that starts easy, when wet, wind resistant/proof, and portable.

Here's what I make. It burns longer than the equivalent amount of kerosene soaked on a cotton swab too.

Pinch of vaseline, pinch of dryer lint, and pinch of sawdust.

Roll it around and mix it all up real good.

We call it gunk. I have never had it not want to light, or never not been able to start a fire with it. Even semi-wet/damp sticks will usually dry out enough to light by the time the gunk burns out. That pinch will generally burn at least 5 minutes. And you usually don't even have to use the whole piece. I actually only use a portion of what I have and save the rest in case I need to add a little more to get the fire going, but i've never needed the whole piece.

The dryer lint when mixed with vaseline seems to wick it up pretty good. I think that's what helps it burn as long as it does. Much like how candle wax helps the wick last longer too. And the sawdust, helps it light.

Mix all 3 together and it works really good.