I know I’m the only one that can answer this but thought it would be worth hearing form others that have had the same question…

I have 3 (two springers and a pcp) in .177 caliber. I’ve been wanting a .25 caliber for a couple of years and have kind of settled on an FX Impact. But, been watching Matt Dubber, AirarmshuntingSA on Youtube and his hunting is all done with 22 caliber. He’s part owner of a company and they make air rifle slugs and he uses them to great effect. So, with that said, I’m torn between the 22 and 25 caliber now. No, I’m not considering 30 caliber, I don’t need an air rifle that big and it would be much more expensive to shoot.

I want something that will buck the wind better than the .177 pellets (which don’t buck any wind) and something I could hunt small game with if i wanted to. Matts pellets do this very well in 22 caliber. Overall, I could shoot the 22 cheaper for fun plinking and switch to the slugs if I wanted to hunt. Would I regret it though and wish I had the .25? Of course my shot count per fill would be somewhat higher in .22 caliber.

I live in a town but on the outskirts and I can shoot air guns but not rimfire. My target range will be about 35 yards and my bench will be under the cover of our enclosed porch so I could shoot if its raining. My backstop is my concrete walled shop although I’ll be shooting into a bullet trap so i’m not hitting the shop directly.

I need to go back and watch some of Ted’s Holdover videos because I know he used to shoot 22 pretty much exclusively, shot .25 for awhile but seems like he may be back to the 22 as his go to weapon.

So, looking for input, experience, just plain thoughts on what others have done, thought of doing, or just being the devils advocate. The FX Impact is very pricey, so no I won’t be buying 2!

Last edited by 450BM; 09/16/22.