Originally Posted by beretzs
If you’re bent on the 30’s I’d stick with the 300 Win myself. Great brass is everywhere I hate being shoehorned into one or two kinds of brass. With Lapua, RWS, ADG and other great options abound. Good stuff is there for the PRC but not easy to get.

Throated for a great bullet like the 208 or 212 ELD puts you in a decent place for bullets.

I think if you run the numbers a well set up 7 Rem or similar is really tough to whoop and the 7 will do it with a little less beating on the shoulder.

If you do a 30, I’d seriously look at an 8 or max 8.5 twist myself if you have any inclination of shooting the really aero stuff. It’ll shoot the shorter stuff fine as well.

The Hornady book shows the 7RM topping out at 2900 with RL 26. Hodgdon shows it at 2900 with RS Magnum. How are you guys getting 3-3100 out of a 7 Mag with 175s?

I know the 7 is better ballistically. I’ve ran mine hard and have shot some spicy ones thru it chasing one thing or another. I want a cartridge that can shoot the heavy 7mms 3k easily.

Out of a .30 I want it to shoot 200-212 at the same speed. Im not wanting to shoot the super heavies.

Sort of the easy button. If the 7RM can do that im all ears.

Isaiah 6:8