Originally Posted by xphunter
[quote=TakeEm]

We are about two hours apart, as I live in Gillette.
I know Josh at H-S. Good guy, and he shoots good as well.
In recent years he has been competing some in PRS and NRL.

If you want a 30 because you want a 30, get one.
If 600 yard is your max, anything you mentioned will work more than good enough.
My next build is a 30 as well...300 RSAUM. I originally had a 30 Nosler or the 300 PRC in mind, but when it came down to what I wanted, they had more recoil for what I wanted in this build. Sold my 300 PRC brass, I think I still have the 30 Nosler though...
I already had a good stash of Norma 300 SAUM brass, and it will work great for my application (Center-Grip Remington XP-100)
Tim King of King Custom outside of Rapid, is doing the build for me.
Plan on using the 166 Hammer Hunters. Mule deer and elk mainly.
More of a 600 yard and under gun. More likely the 200 yards to 500-550ish yards
I have some big 6.5's and 7's if I want to stretch things out.
The 175 ELD-X has great accuracy for me in my 7mm Dakota, and have taken one mule deer, and a handful of elk with it.
Reloader 33 has worked great for me in my 7 Dak and my 26 Nos with the 147's. So far I have only killed antelope with my 26 Nosler.
The 26 Nosler and the 7mm Dakota are both center-grip XP's, so the longer barreled versions, will even have higher MV's.

Get what you want.

Yes Josh is a great guy, he is who I was talking with about the 7PRC. At this point I’ll try some 175 ELDXs in mine if I find some. Going to try the 168 Berger this year in it. Not going to bother with 180 match bullets because it’s a hunting rifle.

The other thing I am considering is the additional punch a .30 has with 200gr plus bullets for Elk and up. I have shot steel to 800 but not where I am comfortable shooting game
That far yet. Yeah the 7 is capable and I have used it in Elk with no problems.

300 WBY-seems like I’m giving up COAL when I could go 26” Win Mag for same speeds and have room in the Mag box. My 7 has a 26” barrel.

For .30’s the Win Mag has Lapua brass available and set up/built for a longer bullets, it’s right there with the PRC.

Isaiah 6:8