Originally Posted by TakeEm
My 7mm Rem Mag Barrel is about done. I’ve shot a lot of stuff with it, from Coyotes to Elk. Never let me down. Since most of my 7mm brass is also toast and everything is hard to find now; considering going to a .30 Cal magnum for the new tube. This was the same ol 7mm vs .300 question which has been done over and over.

I want to shoot a 175-200 grain bullet 3000-2900 fps. I don’t want to redline the cartridge as I have done with the 7RM. It’s a 700 action in an HS Precision stock with a Geissele trigger. I don’t shoot comps and shoot LR basically for fun at steel and stuff. The gun weighs about 9.5lbs as it is. I don’t notice the recoil. It’s a hunting rifle for open country deer 90% of the time. I have lighter rifles for Antelope and Elk tags are few and far between. Not interested in going below 7mm bullet diameter.

Considering.300 WM, .300 PRC or .300 RUM

Maybe a 7PRC as it will shoot the 175-195s 2900-3000 easily.

Maybe a .338.

The only one I have any components for is the .300 Win. I have brass and dies. Around here, .30 cal bullets are much more common than 7mm. I have a couple hundred 7mm bullets left. I need new brass for the 7RM. Barrels from HS are a ways out. I want an HS barrel. What would you build in todays crazy market. Another option is starting from scratch with a custom
Action and putting the 7RM back in its walnut furniture for retirement use.

What is your realistic max distance when hunting?
H-S barrels have always shot well for me, but I am also happy with Brux, Kreiger, and Bartlein. I have been using more Lilja and Hart barrels recently as well. Lot of good barrel makers out there.
If the 7RM does everything you want, why do you want to jump to a 30 cal?
If you want it, because you want it-Cool.
Personally, 7mm's have always been my favorite for hunting up through elk.
I have not hunted anything larger than that though.
I also use 6mm's, 25's, and 6.5's for deer and antelope, and I have taken some elk with several different 6.5's.
If you want a 30, get one-It is your money.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/