Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Stophel
you mean where German officers were tortured and forced to sign "confessions" that they couldn't even read? Proof positive right there.
I lived in Germany for awhile in 1965, 20 years after the war. I met many Germans in their 40s to 60s who had been in that war. I spoke good German. We discussed tha war. I rented a room from an old lady whose husband had been killed in that war. (I didn't ask on which front.) Without exception the Germans I met spoke highly of the treatment they received after being captured by the Americans.

Stophel, you are either a liar or totally ignorant.
Eisenhower ordered the erection of gigantic barbed wire, open air, enclosures (constructed on farm land) wherein he ordered up to three million rank-and-file members of the Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, and Kriegsmarine (who had surrendered to the advancing Americans) to be kept. They were denied food, water, and toilet facilities, and by the time of their release, hundreds of thousands of them had perished due to the conditions forced on them by order of the good general. He felt no compunction to treat them like POWs because, according to him, the war having already ended when they surrendered, they no longer fit that category, and lacked those protections in international law. I think his label for them was surrendered enemy combatants, instead of POWs, so as to skirt violation of the various international war conventions.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Stophel
you mean where German officers were tortured and forced to sign "confessions" that they couldn't even read? Proof positive right there.
I lived in Germany for awhile in 1965, 20 years after the war. I met many Germans in their 40s to 60s who had been in that war. I spoke good German. We discussed tha war. I rented a room from an old lady whose husband had been killed in that war. (I didn't ask on which front.) Without exception the Germans I met spoke highly of the treatment they received after being captured by the Americans.

Stophel, you are either a liar or totally ignorant.
Eisenhower ordered the erection of gigantic barbed wire, open air, enclosures (constructed on farm land) wherein he ordered up to three million rank-and-file members of the Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, and Kriegsmarine (who had surrendered to the advancing Americans) to be kept. They were denied food, water, and toilet facilities, and by the time of their release, hundreds of thousands of them had perished due to the conditions forced on them by order of the good general. He felt no compunction to treat them like POWs because, according to him, the war having already ended when they surrendered, they no longer fit that category, and lacked those protections in international law. I think his label for them was surrendered enemy combatants, instead of POWs, so as to skirt violation of the various international war conventions.

Odd that non of the Wehrmacht veterans I spoke with had any recollection of what you allege, Hawkeye. You're either a fool or a liar.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.