Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by Dutch
I really don’t see how the behavior of the Ukes 80 years ago reflects on their grand (and great-grand) children fighting for their country today.

We don’t hold even the Germans or the Japs to that standard. Not even the Vietnamese, really. Might as well mention Israel, while I’m at it. Yeah, Russia and the Holodomor. I’ll see your 30,000 victims, and raise you 5 million Ukrainians forcibly starved by Stalin.

By that standard, due to the large number of black eyes the US has suffered, this country doesn’t deserve support, but it does. Despite slavery, Jim Crow, Indian wars, McCarthyism, Roe v Wade, our children aren’t responsible for our and our parents mistakes.

Point well taken. Remsen's logic is flawed. I presume he also favors reparations for slavery? crazy

Dutch, when the Tarqueen agrees with you, you may want to reconsider your point of view

Which part of the argument do you disagree with?

My opinion? The Russians, or more precisely, Putin, has been executing a campaign of covert and overt (anything from threats, bribery to outright invasion) subjugation of neighboring former Soviet states, including Ukraine. Russia was a destabilizing force, and unpredictable.

The Ukes fought back the second time they were invaded, and the west cleared out all manner of obsolete junk, near obsolete materiel and ammunition and weapons systems that were nearing expiration dates. All of course, recorded at full replacement value to maximize the virtue signaling and boost the amount of new toys the respective militaries could buy to refill their arsenals. Our old 80 mike HIMARS replaced by the newer versions with triple the range, for example.

In return, we got priceless intelligence on Russian technology (meh), tactics (ygtbsm) and logistics abilities ( lol).

Russia is no longer a destabilizing force, unless she lets Putin shred her to pieces. The Ukes are done being a playground for corrupt US and Euro Pols, because her power and importance came from being the buffer against “mighty” Russia on one hand and controlling the Russian gas pipeline on the other.

I find no joy in the senseless deaths of either young Ukes or Russian conscripts. The war, however, has completely changed the world balance of power by taking Russia off the playing field as a super power. Now we can concentrate on playing chess with China.

Sic Semper Tyrannis