Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Let me ask you this, LFC, and try and keep it on topic.

Just what happens when the leaves fall that makes it such that a shotgun becomes an ineffective weapon for squirrels?

No one said or thought it was an ineffective weapon....a shotgun is a more effective squirrel killer.

The whole "shotguns for heavy foliage and rifles for when the trees are bare" is really just Field and Stream philosphy.

Its called common sense.....with the foliage off your shots are clearer.

Like I said, I've known hunters that didn't even own a .22 and only hunted with shotguns.

I've been a rifleman ever since....it takes more skill to kill a limit of squirrels with a .22 rifle.

There's just something about hunting with a .22....
I refuse to use a shotgun. Have done it many many times before but I don't like the chance of busting a gut in them. Also don't care for the noise.

Had 3 or 4 squirrel hunts so far this fall, killed 1 squirrel, saw a dozen or more each hunt. Had to pass on many due to leaves but once they fall and once most squirrels are sitting around cutting nuts I will get after them again.

Little boogers stay up in the leaves getting nuts straight off the trees instead of having to get on the ground for them.

No doubt I could have killed a half a dozen each trip.

Not knocking a shotgun as it is the most useful and will no doubt get a guy more game in his bag but I have gotten to the point where observing nature has really taken over.

Like my squirrels head shot with a good 22 HP.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/29/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!