Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Not knocking a shotgun as it is the most useful and will no doubt get a guy more game in his bag but I have gotten to the point where observing nature has really taken over.

Like my squirrels head shot with a good 22 HP.

They both have their places. But like you, I won't shoot unless I have a clear shot. I refuse to shoot into foliage where I know one is cracking nuts hoping one falls out, or through heavy sticks and sprouts hoping some pellets make it through. And I don't think I shoot at them really any further away with a .22 than I do with a shotgun. Maybe sometimes, but not often. The little things only sit still for a second of two.

IMO, the trick with a shotgun is shot size and keeping ranges reasonable, and shots open. I've used everything from BBs to #8. Anything bigger than #4 will bloodshot meat and anything smaller than #6 just makes a horrenous mess. Good for killing but not good for eating. I like #4 for the reasons above. Out to 30 yards and maybe a little past, for the most part it will just pass through. The only blood shoting will be to thin areas, like the ribs, or just right at the entrance. It will not obliterate a heart or liver like a .22 shot that is a bit off.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/29/22.