Yes, I tried it one time and it worked for me. Only time I ever had to leave a deer kill and go get help.

Shot my best and biggest buck ever, had a pack of howling coyotes practically on top of us in literally minutes. Skipped field dressing it to keep the scent of blood and guts to a minimum and started dragging it out of the woods. Got it out of the woods and only about 40 - 50 yards into into a freshly cultivated and plowed field and couldn't drag it any farther as it was simply too heavy. The coyotes followed right behind as far as the edge of the woods stopping there, howling and running back and forth apparently badly wanting me to leave so they could start chewing on my deer. I knew I had to go get help so I hung a well used blaze orange "heater"cushion I always carried in cold weather to sit on in my tree stand on the bucks rack, the wind blowing my scent from the cushion back towards the woods.

Came back about an hour later with help, deer was totally untouched and coyotes were gone.