Na, Jag got that one just last year and photoshopped his own mug.... smile

A bud and I had a moose down. Packed the first load over the ridge to the float-plane lake, stashing the game-bagged pieces on a big root wad in the shade, went back for more. On our final (3rd?) return, some bags were down, torn, toothmarks....

I left my bud in our camp, about 100 yards from the meat, while I hiked the 5 miles out to the truck to arrange for a plane. He cleared a little brush for a good sight-line to the meat, made coffee, and potted the young black bear when it came back less than an hour after I had left. Luckily, it was only a blackie - there was a week-old kill site about 50 yards from where I had dropped my bull, which was why, probably, that the bear was looking and likely trailed us back to camp. I suspect a brown bear had already mostly cleaned up the old gut pile, and moved on, so we got lucky.

Out of Kotzebue a few years ago, I got foolish and shot 5 caribou bulls (my daily bag limit). Don't do that!!!! But damn - that was fun- started at the back of the single-line string of about a dozen and worked my way forward. Ran the string of the 5 rounds in the M98... smile

My little POS sled behind the Bravo snowmachine would only hold two, with my survival pack, so after gutting, I gathered the rest into one pile, covered them with a poly-tarp, anchored around the edges by snow and brush branches, and retrieved them the next weekend. The tarp had blown off half of one, which had been worked over and copiously shat on by ravens. Apparently a lot of ravens.

Those two are the only incidents of this sort I have incurred. Clothing or piss marking would have made no difference.

Pee is supposedly sterile (I read somewhere - probably in treating snake-spit to the eyes in Africa). I wonder if it carries little or no human scent. Or if it does, it doesn't matter. And yeah, canines, at least, will mark over human pee spots. It's what they do. And they will then trespass on "your" territory.

Farley Mowat ("Never Cry Wolf") was full of scat.

Leaving a clothing article behind for a lost dog works, but I dunno about on a kill. Can't hurt to try, I suppose. I have my doubts tho, considering I've had radio covers, chain-saws. sleeping pads, a hoodie, and have seen a plastic Coleman canoe and other stuff chewed on by bears. Most or all of it had plenty of human scent on it.

Your best bet is to move the meat as far away from the gut pile as possible. I've hung stuff above 10 feet in trees, and found wolf and bear tracks underneath later. A friend protected his elk kill from coyotes and coons by hanging the bagged pieces over the edge of shear rimrock. Another guy I know hung half his caribou kill about 5 or 6 feet off the ground, under a spruce a mile down off the mountain from where he had killed it. By the time he got back a few days later (it was a 10 mile pack out), a wolf had pulled it down- I got there before he did, on my own hunt, and saw the story in the snow. The wolf had cut his trail part-way down, and tracked right down behind him. i don't know when.

Last edited by las; 11/13/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.