Pee communicates different meanings in different applications. I’ve had wolves and coyotes pee on my pee but my experience makes me think that it also has deterrent uses.

Pile up tree branches with tops together and pee on the tops. Holding the dry butt ends place the branches around the meat or animal you are leaving. IME that has kept predators/scavengers away from meat. It has worked on coyotes, cats and many black bears for 24 to 48 hours, but have no confidence in it keeping away grizzlies and wolverines. Not enough proven wolf experience to opine.

Applied this way I think that it warns predators to keep away from this human’s meat cache or he will kill you. Last year I left a small buck overnight in forest on the Olympic Peninsula. By the next morning, something (probably black bear) had eaten every trace of the entrails a few yards from the low hanging buck, but did not touch the deer. I could be totally wrong but it has worked for decades.

My family has backpack hunted for decades and left many deer and other animals out overnight and up to a week in Washington State, Idaho and Montana, plus south central BC. Only one deer had a small portion eaten and that after being left for several days in Idaho snow. I don’t like to leave meat out in northern BC, and it is risky in the Canadian Rockies.