Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by NVhntr
77 or 80 grain bullets in a fast twist .223 will get you to 600 yards. Nothing but a .22 LR would be less expensive for practice.

+1.

This super-cheap PSA AR is one of my more fun rifles (18" SS 223Wylde 1-8" barrel). It was a bit breezy Saturday morning so I did some 400yd shooting with 77's to see what kind of drift I'd get, and to check dope on a newly swapped scope. I only learn so much when I just shoot on the calm/still days. As much as I like bolt guns, I would have never thought I'd be grabbing an AR first thing to go do chores or stop by the range.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Very nice Jpro. I feel the same way about the 223 rem and AR's.. A lot of great advice here. I will generally take one of my AR's out when I go to the range as well. I shoot a lot at 400 yards and run a lot of 69gr sierra's. I'd step up to a 77, or not, if practicing out to 600-1000 yards. At 400 the 69 is pretty impressive. Great for practicing in the wind:

I'll shoot 3 shots to check POI when it is windy. I was holding 2 moa off on the last target and the wind still caught those bullets.. One thing that needs to be said. It's not always about the bullet. Here's a fast twist Tikka 22-250 I was shooting a couple weeks ago. Using 77 SMK's:

The group size is horrendous, but my hold over to the left was spot on for the wind call. Now, here's another Tikka 22-250 with a 1 in 14" twist barrel. The rifle is a little heavier, since it is the varmint model. It shoots 53gr v-max like nobody's business:

That rifle and bullet will continually outshoot my CTR's chambered in 6.5 creedmoor.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA