Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by BRSnow
Hi, what would be the best for cost efficiencies for practice if you didn’t plan on reloading for it? I certainly realize reloading would be best, but time is a premium and I rather spend it at the range. Appreciate it.

Don’t lose sight of the OP. This is about an adult gun owner practicing, not so much about teaching a kid. I think an adult would very quickly get past the notion of dialing for elevation/wind at .22RF ranges and want to stretch things out... plus a 10/22 is a poor analogue for a hunting rifle, and I suspect the Anshultz is too.

I still say a .223/.223AI built on a full-size common hunting rifle action.

beretzs had a good suggestion with the CTR. That would be my vote, but I'd be handloading for it to get the most out of the platform/cartridge. That or the Cabela's exclusive Savage 12fv. I keep thinking that rifle, when I see this thread. Since they are a very good deal and generally shoot very well. They used to cost right around $400 and less when on sale. Throw a harris bi-pod on it and a SWFA SS fixed power on it and practice till your hearts content. I will also say that the 223 rem is an excellent tool for shooting and practicing long range, but don't think you are going to go out and do the same exact thing with your super magnum rifle after shooting and getting used to the 223. You might just get disappointed in the real effectiveness of your magnum rifle. Shooting them can be a whole other subject to discuss. Not directed at you Jeff, but to someone who has not shot a lot of magnums.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA