Originally Posted by mannyspd1
If time is a premium and you would rather spend it at the range, I would consider this:

Don't buy a different new rifle shooting a different caliber than your 6.5 PRC that you intend to actually use. Use that money to buy more of your chosen ammo for that 6.5 and go and practice with that. Shoot it at various distances and wind conditions from actual field positions, not just from the bench.

A different rifle will handle differently, trigger will break differently, trajectory and wind bucking will be different, all not conducive to having limited time on the range. Save your brass, you may reload one day.

Good luck with your decision and practice.

Regards,
Manny

Manny is very much SPOT ON here.

For years due to my occupation, I used a .308/7.62 and shot M118LR pretty much exclusively. I used it at work and I used it in competition as well as in the mountains and desert while hunting. For those not familiar, the M118 LR uses a Sierra 175 grain Matchking. Were there better projectiles? Sure. But when you shoot thousands of them from prone, from rooftops, from bipods/tripods, at work, then take them to the field hunting, you are extremely familiar with the drops, with wind calls, how they will do in mountain thermals, updrafts and downdrafts, etc.

You simply cannot replicate that familiarity shooting 3 different cartridges. I shot a bunch of various live targets with them, including deer, elk, and other things. Everything fell over dead.

Now that I retired from all that, I shoot 155 Scenars almost exclusively for .308s for the same reason.

I personally would shoot what you have exclusively and keep an old school data book of the conditions you shoot it in to record your notes.

By all means take advantage of the modern ballistic programs. They are excellent. But each time you shoot record the information on wind calls, come ups, etc. That way you have notes you can refer to.

This is an old note from shooting movers at 800, with an M24 and fixed 10. Not what I used these days but still useful for referring to.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Keeping good notes can also tell you when you may have an equipment or an ammo issue, such as when your gun was fine at 800, but you dial windage and elevation for 500 on a KD range and all of the sudden it can barely keep them on paper. Same lot of ammo too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com