Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ve got a Tikka CTR in 223 that is a lot of fun and man can you whistle some ammo through it. It’s accurate, easy to shoot and just works well.

The 22 LR is likely the best answer for sheer shooting but I don’t mind cranking on the Dillon to make ammo and it is a lot of fun.

A lot of guys suggesting the 22lr. I guess if you haven't done a lot of shooting in your lifetime, that is a good approach. Practice bugholing the target at 50 yards. When you have accomplished that, stretch it out further? I grew up with them and they are mind numbingly boring to me. To the point I don't really like shooting them. I recently pulled my 10-22 out and dusted it off to test some different ammo I bought last year. In order to shoot the 22lr, I have to change it up a bit. Speed shoots for precision and that kind of stuff. Check out the day at the range Z challenge. Started doing that a few days ago, that is about the only way I actually enjoy shooting the 22lr, if I'm not shooting head to head matches. Last year I had the opportunity to shoot with some PRS guys running their fancy as fugg 22lr's (vudoo's and such running Nightforce ATACR's and Gen III Razors) set up on big tripods, they were at the local 400 yard range and not hitting schidt. They were returning from a tournament in Idaho. I was shooting my 204 Ruger that day and that rifle was not spectacular at 400 yards, but sufficient enough to make some hits on live targets at 411 yards:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's getting to be that time of the year again, those critters are running around out there sunning themselves. Dre was wondering what the OP decided on, but I doubt we will hear from him again. Did the OP take some of the good advice given, or is he still practicing minimally with his 6.5 PRC and likely developing bad habits?? I'd also urge the OP to take 2 rifles out and shoot them side by side. His 6.5 PRC being one of them. Shoot it against a precise 223 remington. I don't care if it is an AR15 or bolt action. Practice is practice. The OP will need to know how his hunting rifle (PRC) stacks up against the practice rifle he chooses. Lets say he's shooting 3" groups at 400 with his 223 rem and 6" groups with his magnum rifle. That will tell him that he needs a lot of practice, with both rifles. Hell, shoot at 100 yards if need be until you master your rifle. All the same rules of marksmanship apply at long range as it does for short range. Proficiency is key and practice is the only way you are going to become proficient. To the OP, I would not bare down on a big game animal at 600 yards until you are proficient in your shooting ability. Just how I see it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA