Originally Posted by 79S
All very good questions Lawrence, hardly anyone is shooting AR15’s with irons in NRA/CMP high power matches. One of our last holdouts a high master traded his irons in for a 1-4.5 scope last year. So to answer one of your questions I would run a A4 so one can run an optic. Our club had 6 rock river NM AR15 we sold them and they were hard to sell even at $600 because these were the old school A2 I know of at least 2 that were converted to A4’s. No one in our shooting group uses bear creek anything. Most are using complete uppers or barrels from WOA. I’m odd man out I use Bison Armory barrels now. Also anymore it’s getting harder to find barrels cut for the F block. Seems everyone has gone A4 route with float tubes. In the world of high power everyone seems to gravitate to what’s working that’s why WOA is very predominant. Load data everyone is using Varget/RL15, those combos are winning at Nationals. If someone showed up to nationals with a bear creek upper, ammo loaded with staBALL and won it all. Then everyone would be buying bear creek uppers/barrels using staBALL. One last note shooting irons is becoming somewhat of a lost art. One other thing that wasn’t touched on what trigger is he using? If it’s milspec then that can be part of the inaccuracy he’s experiencing. Right now those larue mbt on sale for $89 buck.

Thank you very much for the informative answer to my questions. In the back of my mind I'm thinking WOA as well, but that's to win matches and I believe the op is mainly looking for something that is more accurate out of the box than his current set up. It still blows my mind, wondering why his rifle is not shooting well. Maybe it's worn out? But that is hard to do with those chrome lined barrels. You really have to try hard to do that. You are right, shooting irons is somewhat a "lost art". Man that is a shame too!!! I imagine if someone doesn't have a lot of experience with an AR rifle, it could be a reason they are not shooting it well. Guys like Montanaman have said shooting an AR is different than shooting a bolt action, and sometimes harder to get used to. He's right. Also guys like Rost here have probably forgotten more than a lot of us know about shooting these rifles with irons. Not that he's old, just experienced. These AR's take some getting used to, but once you find what works, stick with that. Your suggestion about a better trigger is a good one. Even one of my favorite triggers is usually only $79 over at Right to Bear Arms. Hopefully Godogs57 will take the info that you provided in your post and use it. He might be an awesome shooter with irons and an AR, but what I've seen is a lot are not. Then they assume there is something wrong with their rifle. Maybe he will answer some of the questions I asked, so maybe it helps us understand what he's really working with..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA