Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Any of you guys, besides 79s go to AR shoots or the like? So maybe you can share some of your experience on what you've seen. I know rost has shot the hell out of these, and some supposed camp perry guys here..
You know I do. All my friends are Service Rifle knuckledraggers. We are all sporting 4.5x scopes and lots of UBR stocks.
I've shot with some high master class shooters at my club. They come from the big city, but their rifles are no where near what the oldschool M16 looked like. They look more like a space gun to me. Very heavy long barrels with aperture sights in the front and even magnified rear apertures. Those guys shoot well enough, but it only forces me to pull my noveske out. Boy oh boy, talk about sniveling. Those guys hate getting beat..
That's exactly what we call those rifles, "space guns". In HP that's Match Rifle class. Ineligible for Leg Points. Lot of guys go to them once they've got their Distinguished Badge. The sights are easier to use for old guys than A2 sights. Now that scopes are legal, most guys are sticking with Service Rifle.

Yep at EIC match those space guns stay at home. We have one last hold out who refuses to shoot AR15 for leg match and drags out the old M1A, for the leg match. Shooting irons is fine and dandy but unless you have phenomenal eye sight shooting out 600yds sucks. Lol.

I watched Norm Crawford shoot a clean 600yd match at Butner with M14. The conditions were not optimimal, but not terrible. Hot with a fish tail from 6.

Watched him clean 600 in anther match while having to stop and take care of one of his kids that was cutting up behind the line. The kid must have been fearless, I always thought that if I looked at Crawford wrong he'd just kill me on the spot.....

I legged out with a M1A in the late 90's. I've been out of it for a long time but I'll bet the "good" scores from that time wouldn't even make the cut now.

Moved to a bolt match rifle asap. My eyesight was terrible and getting worse, very nearsighted all my life and then the presbyopia on top of that. A regular Mr. Magoo I was!

I like reading you all's posts on High Power matches.