Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Could easily be bench technique, setup.
I have been known to have excessive operator headspace occasionally
ARs aren't the easiest guns to shoot off a benchrest. The sloping stock makes them want to porpoise which string the shots vertically. A dedicated bench gun has a straight bottomed buttstock so the gun recoils straight back.
Makes sense. What do folks do it this case with respect to benchrest technique?

Godogs57, I think your groups look pretty good. Especially the 10 shot group shown with Varget. I wouldn't kick that one out of bed. Tyrone has shot the AR platform a lot more than I have. He has some very good suggestions. rost can also help. I on the otherhand shoot weak side when I use irons. My right eye is better. When shooting off the right side, I think I focus more than I do when shooting lefty.

What kind of a rest do you use? I'm assuming rear bag too? I found a good front rest is much easier to use than a bag. That is when the rifle is not equipped with a good bi-pod. The vertical dispersion would seem more like a rear bag issue. Like Tyrone said about the shape of the butt stock, not lending itself well for shooting off a bench. They are also harder to master than a good ol bolt action, that many of us are so used to. You could always buy a new upper and see if anything changes, but be warned if you buy the wrong one, it could get worse.. Think more quality, especially when it comes to the barrel and you'll be doing yourself a favor. If you buy a new upper, let us know how it compares.

As for PSA, which seems like a lot of these guy's suggest, one of my buddies texted me early this morning. Like 5:30 AM!!! He has been working on building a couple AR10's. He said he pulled out the borescope and both PSA barrels looked like dog schidt. Something about the machinging being horrible and an issue with one side of the lands in a couple areas. if it were me, I'd be trying the BA barrel that comes in the upper I posted a pic of yesterday. That one is built by Aero Precision and has a removable carry handle. That way you can assess the upper with a scope too, and see how those groups compare to your iron sight groups. If there is a huge fluctuation, that tells you you're doing something wrong. Remember to nose up to that charging handle and do it consistently every time.. Tyrone is right, this is a battle rifle, but it can be shot from the bench or prone with great success. Stay in the rifle, keep everything consistent and stay focused mentally. Everything you have learned about marksmanship applies to the AR two fold!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA