About the rifle lubrication. It really is possible to have your rifle fail to fire if you have petroleum lubricants in the bolt body / firing mechanism. Especially likely if you have old, cruddy petroleum lubricants that have oxidized and become thick. I have only had one experience of a misfire at -40, but once was enough.
I keep my rifles clean and lubricated, but avoid using regular oil for lubrication. 3 in 1 household oil and most automotive oils and such are very bad choices for cold weather use. I'm not of the belief that eliminating all oil and replacing with graphite or teflon powder is the best solution. That gives you no rust protection when condensation forms on the metal when your rifle warms up, and it will warm up sometime. So I just strip and clean my rifles that will be used in extreme cold with a spray degreaser, and then lubricate the inside of the bolt and the safety and trigger mechanisms very lightly with a good SYNTHETIC lubricant. There are many good ones on the market. Remington CLP, Outers, and possibly the best - and the one I use the most, G-96. Whatever you use, it must remain liquid at extreme low temperatures. You can replace grease on your locking lugs and action rails with the light synthetic oil too, but it's much less important there.

Last edited by castnblast; 02/04/23.