I'm often surprised that when guys suggest a barrel, that more of you do not suggest Kidd. Since getting the Kidd barrel on my 10-22, I generally suggest that as a good way to go to others when they ask what barrel to get for their 10-22. The one I have was bought on ebay a couple years ago now for $274.00 new. From the first group fired, I've been very happy with it:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It even shoots the cheap ammo well, which is a huge plus as far as I'm concerned:

What's not to like about a barrel like that? It definitely meets their accuracy guarantee, and my requirements.

I don't shoot my rimfire rifles or pistols much anymore, as I'm generally messing with my centerfire stuff after glass bedding and accurizing and working up loads for my new rifles. One thing I've been wanting to do is test some ammo I bought last year. A lot of this ammo was old manufacture match ammo that I got from a local store here. it seems like they always have match grade 22lr on the shelf. Ammo I've never seen before and wanted to see how it shot in this rifle. I finally got around to testing it and here are the results. I shot according to the Z challenge from day at the range, which is a fun shoot. First targets I'll show are the 20 round groups from "seasoning" the barrel for each type of ammo with the Z challenge targets:

First up is the SK match gold:

Second up is Wolf match target:

Third up is Wolf match extra:

And last up is some old Federal gold medal match that was made in 1992:

To say this barrel is not finicky is a gross understatement. One reason I always suggest Kidd, when guys ask what barrel they should look at buying. Now, according to the rules of the Z challenge day at the range shoot, you had to season the barrel with 20 rounds before you shoot the actual target for score. I found that to be a waste of half a box of ammo with this barrel. However, I have seen some rifles react to different brands of ammo, where you really needed to season the barrel with each different type of ammo. For some reason this one is not affected much by switching brands. Some of this ammo is lubed generously and some of this ammo was not lubed, or the lube was so old that it was like a powdered graphite or chalky consistency:

The old SK match gold was a good example of that^^^^ The other day I shot some of the Norma Tac 22 and it also seemed to shoot very well out of this barrel. I was wondering if any of you here have shot the Z challenge and if so, what did you use? If not, I'd suggest you try it. It's a lot of fun and it got me out shooting this 22lr again. Check it out, you might have some fun:

Also, let me know what you think of Kidd barrels or if you have a different brand that shoots better or just as good, post it up. Thanks for looking! The weather is slowly getting better, hopefully some of you are able to get out there and shoot. Give this Z challenge a try. If you go to their website, they have these targets you can print off. Good luck with it and if you do shoot it, post up results. This isn't a challenge or call out, just a good way to get out there and do some shooting. Take care guys..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA