Originally Posted by K22
Nice write up BSA.
I never had much luck with pressure points in a stock over free floating.
Since Ruger only uses on action screw, then when I installed a heavy barrel I used an aluminum spacer
that the barrel chamber sits on. You didn't say where the shims are located and I assumed towards the end of the forearm.
Is that a bad assumption? If they put the shims and tension screw back at the chamber end that would be awesome.
$60 for a Volquartsen sear and trigger? Wow, I've been out of the loop for a long time. Back what now must be quite a few
years I bought 10 Volquartsen sears for under $100 from Volquartsen. Can't remember what the trigger price was.
Changing out the sear really makes a difference in trigger pull on the 10/22. I never thought the trigger change made much
difference. I did like the idea of the over travel screw in the Volquartsen trigger.
I really like the looks of your Magpul Hunter stock and really like EdM's checkered walnut stock. I have a weakness for walnut. smile
Maybe this week the weather will be nice enough shoot some targets with the 10/22 and add a second good shooting Green Mountain Barrel
to the thread. grin

Sounds awesome buddy! I'd love to see it. I am like you and love those deluxe walnut stocks too. The last one I had, I sold to a good buddy of mine and it shot lights out after a little bit of work. Had to find the right ammo that it liked though. Surprisingly enough it shot the Eley target ammo the best out of a lot that I tested in it. At the time, it was about $7/box. That rifle is a sleeper because it has the original barrel on it and guys don't expect it to shoot that well. The deluxe walnut stock I found for that rifle is a beauty too.

To answer your question on the location of the barrel shim that adds tension, I believe I posted a pic in the other thread that you commented on. You may not have noticed it, so here it is again:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The shim is there a few inches back from the tip of the forend. While I did not know if I'd like that Magpul stock when I first got it, it has grown on me and I do like it. It did need the extra support of the bedding, though for my needs. I'm pretty picky about how my rifles shoot and mods like that are simple, yet very effective.

Those guys at Magpul are ingenious suckers!! I use a lot of their products on my AR's. Oddly enough, I think my only gripe about it is it is very lightweight. Funny huh? I built this rifle to compete in some speed/precision shoots, such as my clubs golf ball matches. But to be honest, my A17 smokes it. The 10/22 is a contender in my clubs head to head KYL shoots though. Because it is so precise. It makes short work of even the 1/4" target in the KYL shoot.

As for how you approached your action, that is a great solution as well. Mechanically speaking. Keeping in mind, this is all mechanical in relation to accuracy/precision. Sounds like you may have done something similar to what Dwayne did. You can also glass bed under the chamber area and where the action screw goes into the receiver. Glass bed about 4" under that area and under the chamber area and be good to go. Freefloat the rest of the barrel. Key to accuracy is rigidity and a stress free receiver. What you did is just that, from the sounds of it.

Now, after that, I would not stop there. Another way to milk the last bit of precision out of a 10-22 is to make sure it headspaces right. That means you need to surface grind the face of the bolt. Or use a similar method to get the headspace down to an appropriate measurement. This helps to fully support the 22lr case head and will make it shoot more precisely. I run the headspace on my bolts around .043"-.045". And I check that the bolt face hits squarely on the breech face of the barrel. That is very important! On a factory Ruger 10-22, you will find they range quite a bit. Some are more sloppy than others. Something a lot of guys do not think about. They want to focus on the more common issues. But tit for tat, that modification will net some of the best accuracy gains IMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA