Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Why not just use a 48WJS?

Ding ding ding ding ding!! We got a winner!

Try the Lyman 48WJS and then try that woefully lacking in adjustment Skinner, and if you still prefer the Skinner you can re-sell the Lyman easy-peasy. The Lyman 57 is functional, for sure, but it just ain't a Lyman 48.

But it does beg the question: why do you need to drill more holes in the receiver? They came d/t'ed for both receiver sights and scope mounts from the factory.

And another question, out of curiosity, what's the perceived advantage of .358 over .308? Animal to self: "Boy I'm sure glad that hunter only shot me in the chest with a .30 caliber bullet. If he'd nailed me with a .35 I'd be a goner."

My exact thoughts there, but you do it in such great detail. These guys must be new to the pre 64 model 70, because the 48WJS was my first thought. I can't really see a better sight going on one of these. Maybe they don't like the traditional look, and nice adjustability??? I also agree with Iskra John on getting the one that was made after 1947, so you don't have to modify your stock. No inletting and messing up the originality is numero uno as far as I'm concerned. I didn't think I'd have to go into great detail and explain why the simple answer is the 48WJS, but that is it. Keep it simple and use what has worked for decades. Unless the OP is asking for something that is more modern? I'm sure you have seen the rear scope base that also has a peep sight that flips up and then folds down when using a scope. Those were made by Redfield and I always thought they were kind of cool, but how good are those really? I'd probably just as soon use the factory irons. We might be all washed up on this one man. Not exactly sure what the OP is looking for.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA