When you're speaking of a quality receiver sight, especially on high power bolt rifle, you're describing an "instrument". "Best of class!" I do surely hear the remark typical concerning such as the Lyman 48, in terms of bit of "bulk" and also edges that catch on gun cases, clothing or brush. A penalty, for which the reward in "instrument quality" and as particularly noted above not the fussing around getting it "regulated". If your field world is at a relatively fixed range distance, a variety of less expensive serviceable sights, but then less excuse for not using a less expensive scope with ease of adjustment. I don't think there's any one good answer. The person, time place, circumstance including inclement weather... Not to mention front sight as also noted above.
The Lyman 57 series is also quite good. Less expensive than the 48 and most of the attributes of dimensions and quick setup. The Redfields are "next quality" to me but factually about the same. From there such as Pacific Sights, reflecting decent 'purpose oriented' if clunky sturdy species!
Last bit of trivia perhaps, "Hunter" rounded top knobs are slightly more 'anti-catch on everything' but require a device of "coin slot" dimensions for the 'price' of convenient adjustment. I'll take target knobs, thank you!

I don't know about you all, but I've enjoyed this Thread.
With Thanks!
John